Pages

4th November 2006

Today was my first walk around St.Ives for quite a few weeks.

After a couple of days with frosty starts today was actually quite mild. I was hoping the birds would be taking advantage of the slightly warmer conditions and be very active. If they were they weren't active around me!

Coppice Pond: had the usual Mallards and Coot, with a collection of Black-headed Gulls. No sign of any Grebes but 5 Goosander were present. An adult male, 1st winter male, 2 adult females and a 1st winter female.

Coppice Bog: A small flock of finches flew overhead including Chaffinch and at least one Brambling (the first of this winter period).

Heather Park: A lone Redpoll flew over.

Racecourse Plantation: Another single Redpoll flew over

Cuckoo's Nest Wood: Very quiet except for the Wrens and Robins singing. I did manage a glimpse of a Nuthatch, but I saw very little else. I heard several Treecreepers and Jays as well as a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

All in all, a nice morning for a walk but sadly very little wildlife on show. Amazingly there was no sign of any Redwing or Fieldfare despite the recent influx into the country.

No comments: